Sunday, January 31, 2010

Showcase Ireland

Showcase Ireland is a huge event. As well as the usual commercial merchandise (Guinness mugs and "Kiss me I'm Irish" t-shirts) this tradeshow features the work of Irish craft producers--potters, jewelers, furniture makers, leather workers, and of course hand-weavers. All of these artisans were grouped together in a special section called "Creative Island" at the entrance to the show.

This was, in fact, a reflection of how the show began over thirty years ago. Originally, it was just for artisans and attracted buyers interested in genuine hand-made products. (I heard some wild tales about those early shows!) As times changed and the popularity of the show grew the original mission changed. It was good to see a recognition of this history in the layout.


Here is Tristan, the Manager here at Studio Donegal, manning the stand (and modeling one of our coats).

When not hard at work in the booth I had a chance to wander about and meet other producers. At one point I was having a coffee when a young woman in the most unbelievable red floral hat walked by.


I fell in love with it instantly. Rebekah Patterson is the designer. Her work is remarkably clever. She uses both vintage and contemporary materials. I want that hat...and the occasion and outfit to go with it!

I also couldn't resist the work of Hope & Benson.
They use some of Studio's tweeds in the construction of their bags. The simple shapes are terrific and the whole collection has a fun whimsical feel. I almost came home with one, but it was gone by the end of the show.

No comments:

Post a Comment