Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Driving in Donegal

Beware the roadways! I have a car! Behold, this is my chariot and I am a holy terror!

Actually, I'm a fairly cautious driver. Somewhat fearful and not very good. I keep reaching for the door expecting to find the gear-shift. I say my affirmations as I go along, "I will execute the upcoming right-hand turn perfectly." Never mind that there is a giant bread truck obstructing my view of oncoming traffic. Just ignore the gaggle of young men chuckling into their sleeves as I stall out...again! They missed my three subsequent flawless executions.

The other day I drove up to Sliabh Liag, the sea cliffs one town over in Carrick. It's a straight climb up on a one lane road with a few boulders dotted along the edge to keep the car from tumbling into the sea. What with my cold I can't distinguish the scent of burning turf from burning clutch. It was quite the adventure.













The reward was well worth it. The views are astonishing, all ocean and clouds and the vista of Donegal Bay.














There was a bit of entertaining signage that made me chuckle. As though the cliffs would do you in and not your own stupidity.



















And because it's Ireland there were sheep up there on the top of the world. This particular ewe was a model-in-waiting. She posed graciously while I stopped the car and fiddled with the camera. Note the gentle breeze in her fleece. Farrah Fawcett on four legs that one.

1 comment:

  1. I think they must pay this sheep to stand by the road. She (or her near relation) were there when we went up to Sliabh Liag in late June.
    Driving was the white knuckle experience of our entire trip, but especially on the backroads with mountain turns.

    ReplyDelete